Today, City Year Washington, DC welcomed our 13th corps! One hundred and sixty-five young idealists embark upon their journey to make a difference in the lives of youth and the community of Washington, DC. During our Basic Training Academy (BTA) we will be highlighting our corps, their hopes and goals for the upcoming year through our Founding Stories (read all the stories here).
Today’s founding story comes from Margaret Mead:
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Today, our corps embarks upon a journey to change the world. We asked them what they are most excited about. This is what our corps members and staff had to say:
- I’m excited about being the change I wish to see in the world.
Chris Wade, Corps Member from Richmond, Virginia
- I am excited because I was afraid I wouldn’t have a community serve with after I graduated from college.
Ilana Stein, Corps Member
- I am excited to get one student to decide to go to college.
Carissa Harris, Corps Member from Tallahassee, Florida
- I’m excited to change the world.
Molly Vetter, Corps Member from Dallas, TX
- I want all the students in the classroom to pass the CAS.
Hager Franklin, Corps Member from Clinton, Maryland
- I’m excited to teach a student who doesn’t like to read to read for pleasure.
Derek Murphy, Corps Member from Sarasota, Florida
- I’m excited for students to see that what they learn in school can be used outside of school.
Nathaniel Cha, Corps Member from Chicago, Illinois
- I want to provide opportunities and options for students, and to open doors for students.
Meredith McDonald, Corps Member from Hope Mills, North Carolina
- I hope this year allows me to adopt the “each one” team philosophy and change a young person’s life so they can go back and change their communities.
Lavon Sampson, Corps Member from Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- I’m excited to show a child that just because they don’t understand something does not mean they are under anyone, and that there is nothing wrong with asking for help.
Taneesha Dent, Corps Member from Washington, DC
- I am really excited for my red jacket.
Thomas Miano, Corps Member
- I am really excited for meeting new people.
Ashante Branch, Corps Member
- I am excited to start.
Monet Hinton, Corps Member
- I am excited to be the bright spot in someone’s day.
Robert Wierman, Corps Member
- I am excited for the impact and difference you will make that you don’t even know about yet.
Chris Carter, Program Manager from Front Royale, VA
- I am excited about the boots.
John Gass, Corps Member
- I am excited about the challenge.
Ricardo Maisonneuve, Corps Member
- I am excited about the developing partnerships that we have with the schools and the community.
Neils Ribeiro-Yemofio,Program Director from Alexandria, VA
Please help us wish our new Corps Members well by posting in the Comments section below.